Monday, October 1, 2007

A Quick One About My Baseball Blog Posts...

As you may have seen in one of my earlier posts, I also do a Stats-type Baseball Posting on an Ex-Pat Chicago Sports Web site.

It's always nice to be appreciated, as my Season Predictions proved highly accurate, my fellow blogger posted about that.

I love Bill James' Sabermetric work, and I used his Win-Shares formula to see how the off-season would add up for the Cubs. Turns out I was only off by one game (I predicted the Cubs would win only 84 or 85 games).

My mid-season prediction was eerily similar to my pre-season prediction, and the eventual outcome. I should say that the Pythagorean Theorem was particularly accurate, because I didn't devise this, Bill James did, with only a little programmatic application that I did which was to include the season as it unfolds and the dwindling number of opportunities, along with the OPI (over-performance index). This prediction also made my Yankees-loving friends extremely happy. Most interesting in this prediction was the fact that I had the Cubs winning the division even though their performance at that time had resulted in an under-.500 record and Milwaukee was winning at a high clip.

I will be cross-posting my play-off predictions here and on Big Shoulders Sports.

No comments: