Friday, October 5, 2007

Bronx Bombers Become Bug Bombers, Boston Brilliant

Sorry--I love alliteration.

In any case, the Yankees now have less of a chance to beat Cleveland than the Cubs do of beating the Snakes, even though they both play the next two (if there are two) at home.

A note while I watch the Red Sox play the Angels: Steve Stone is the best analyst in the game. I remember back in Chicago, and listening to him carry Harry Caray during all those years--when Caray was cute, but inarticulate. I've played baseball, as a semi-professional, and thought I was pretty knowledgeable about the game. But in almost every single game, Stone would point something out that I either didn't know, had forgotten, or didn't think of--it was educationsl and entertaining because he was a very intelligent and articulate announcer. It made me completely forget about the great Brickhouse/Boudreau years as I was growing up (and, boy, were those guys good!). Listening to him announce these games was as good as it gets--it truly puts those Faux (Fox?) announcers to shame, they sometimes seem that the more words that issue from their mouths, the more it shows how little they know about the game (thanks TM for that one).

In any case, the question to be asked is what is more accurate now? The odds from before the two losses for these teams, or the odds as they stand after them? Here are the chances for these teams to sweep the next 3 games:
Cubs, 18.4%
Yankees, 17.6%
Phillies, 10.2%
Angels, 8.6%

Now you might think: "them's not good odds"--and you'd be right. But of course, that's the same chance that the Rockies and Phillies had of winning their playoff spots a week ago...

Also, you might also be asking what are the odds that all four series would be 2-0? Of course I have the number for you: 2.9% or less than 3 out of 100 (I aim to please).

Here's the updated odds after tonight's games.

click the image to enlarge

No comments: