Monday, January 28, 2008

Technology in the World of Social Profit Organizations

If you're reading this, you've probably read my profile and see that I'm the Director, Information Systems at GMHC, which is a charitable organization. I do not like the sobriquets of "charitable" organization or "non-profit", because essentially, we are neither. We do not provide charity nor do we work for nothing. I prefer to tell people that I work in the Social-Profit sector. GMHC, and other organizations like ours generate a great deal of social profit; not only do our immediate clients benefit, but society in general most definitely profits from our work.

Since coming to GMHC, I have thought a lot about how I can measure the return on investment (ROI) of the work that my team and I contribute, in both human resource terms and purely hardware and software terms. Should I measure what our annual budget says we spend and amortize all of the hardware that was here and look at it in comparison to our revenues? Should I total the cost of running this department and create an index based on a per-hour basis that I can apply to the time saved to the end-user in our organization? I don't like any of those, because even though they have their applications in the For-[money]Profit sector, they don't truly capture what IT does in the Social-Profit sector. Or for that matter, what the true social profit is.

I am going to continue to explore this and will report my findings on this blog. Stay tuned for more Social Profit!

No comments: