Monday, September 1, 2008

Standing in the Shadow of the Birthplace of Democracy

BOSTON - To take this picture, I stood at the spot where the Boston Massacre sparked a nascent movement for liberty, sovereignty, and freedom from colonial rule.

As I stood there, I imagined what it must have been like to be standing the exact same spot in 1776 with the rest of the assembled masses as the first reading of the Declaration of Independence in public. That was the technology of the day: public oratory and pamphleteering, the olden day version of YouTube and Blogging (sans the instantaneous global reach).

After Senator Obama's speach last Thursday night, I'd say oratory is still big in the ever-more United States of America. After walking the Freedom Trail, I felt a part of our revolutionary history.

To see more pictures from the Freedom Trail taken by The Wife and I, follow this thread to Flickr. My particular favorite is the Boston Massacre Monument, which is in the Boston Commons, the oldest Public Park in the USA.

For a Fenway Park story, go to http://sabermetrati.blogspot.com.

No comments: